Tofu "Egg Salad" Sammie


With summer just around the corner it's time to get into shape. There's going to be lots of B&B's. Barbecues and bikini's! So our bod's need to get into tip-top shape and these sammies are a great healthy start. I was a little skeptical when I saw this recipe at first, but since I like tofu I thought I'd give it a shot. This sammie was super light and refreshing. I couldn't wait to feed it to lobster and trick him again. He really liked it too but thought something was a little "different" about the texture. I think he thinks everything I give him that's white and crumbly is tofu now - must have tricked him one too many times :) But if you decide to trick someone for the first time, I'm sure they'd believe it was egg salad. Try it.

I ate the tofu salad between two slices of Oroweat Sandwich Thins. Next time I would try eating this in a pita that way I can have more salad to bread ratio and I won't have to worry about tofu squirting out of the sandwich. Then a light bulb went off! What if the tofu was trapped, stuffed inside of a pita - problem solved! I also made these as open faced sammies on top of some good crusty multi-grain bread. The crunchy bread was a great contrast to the soft salad and it was the perfect combo. Nice and light. Pleasure on the lips and good for the hips :)


Tofu Sammie
4 servings

Adapted from here and here and a little bit of me :)

1 14 oz block of firm tofu
2 tbs chopped parsley
1/4 cup minced onion greens
1/4 cup fennel, small dice
2 tablespoons mayo
4 tbs sour cream or greek yogurt
2 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp onion and garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder or cayenne
2 tsp capers drained, chopped
Lime juice to taste
Season with lots of S&P
Arugula
Sliced tomatoes 1/4" thick

Directions
Drain the water from the tofu and cut into 1/2" slices. Place tofu in one layer between a few paper towels and place a heavy pan on top so tofu releases all liquid for fifteen minutes.
Put the tofu in a bowl and mash with a fork
Add the onion greens, parsley and fennel and stir.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayo, sour cream, mustard, and rest of the ingredients through the capers. Season to taste with lime juice, and S&P
Add the mayo mixture to the tofu and stir until well blended and season with more S&P. If mixture seems dry you may need to make more of the sauce or add a couple more spoonsfuls of sour cream and season again to taste.

0 comments: