White Chili


It's a little chilly out so I decided to make a hearty pot of chili with the leftovers from our lemon chicken. I've never eaten white chili before, let alone made a chili that calls for chicken instead of beef either. However, this will now be a new favorite to add to my repertoire. It's a rich and hearty stew almost and has a nice kick to it. When I first added the green chilies I thought the dish became a little too spicy but it mellowed out after the broth reduced and the flavors concentrated. In the end it was the perfect amount of heat to the dish.

If you decide to make this, at first your chili will be very liquidy like a soup, but after an hour of simmering it will become a thick dish of nummyness. This dish is perfect for a cold winter day OR for someone who had a little too much to drink last night :)

White Chili Recipe
6 servings
Adapted from Simply Recipes with my revisions

Ingredients
1 15 oz can on cannelini beans (rinsed and drained)
6 cups chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cups diced cooked chicken
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, chopped (optional) - I did not use one

Method

1 In a skillet, add oil and sauté onions in oil until tender then add garlic until fragrant or a minute of two. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add beans to mixture. Add chicken and continue to simmer 1 hour. Adjust seasoning with S&P.

2 Garnish with chopped fresh tomato, salsa, chopped scallions, and/or guacamole. Serve with fresh warmed flour tortillas or tortilla chips. (I cut up some left over pita that I cut into thin strips and toasted in the oven)

**If you do not have any leftover chicken, the following is what the cook from the recipe suggests to do:
For the chicken, I saute chicken breasts cut in 1/2" strips in olive oil (1-2 tbsp)...I season the meat with my favorite steak seasoning, D.L. Jardine's. It seems to tenderize the chicken and gives just that extra bit of flavor. While I'm sauteing the chicken, I chop it into smaller, bite-sized pieces before adding to the soup.

0 comments: